Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF50 Sunscreen Review
Recommended by many dermatologists and with so many great reviews by users, Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF50 Sunscreen Lotion is surely a product one can simply not ignore.
My review on this product includes a closer look at its top benefits, ingredients, pros and cons as well as what users mostly like about it.
Top Product Features
- SPF 50 Sunscreen which provides both UVA and UVB protection.
- Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5% and Zinc oxide 10.5%
- Non greasy matte sunscreen.
- PABA and fragrance free.
- Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation.
Obagi Sunscreen protects from the UVA and UVB rays while also preventing skin problems that may arise due to the harmful sun rays such as aging skin, sun spots and others.
It also offers a matte finish which looks good on your skin, and is recommended for all skin types.
A Closer Look at its Active Ingredients
The two active ingredients of this physical sunscreen are Zinc oxide and Octinoxate. Zinc Oxide is known to be an effective sunscreen ingredient in high end and many cases natural sunscreens.
After digging a bit more into this component's properties, I found out that it has more benefits than just being a safe to use sun protection ingredient.
Zinc Oxide prevents sun burns and helps the skin recover from burns or other sun damage.
The interesting part is that apart from its sun protection properties, it is also said to prevent bacterial infections and that is one of the reasons why a lot of users of this Obagi sunscreen say that it doesn't cause any breakouts to their skin.
It also slows down skin inflammation which is linked to certain conditions such as skin irritation, allergies or rashes.
Another very important benefit of Zinc Oxide is that locks moisture in the skin which is particularly useful for dry types of skin but, in fact, for all types of skin when exposed to the sun.
By keeping moisture in the skin and offering sun protection benefits, Zinc Oxide prevents and delays the skin aging that is caused by the sun.
Another very important advantage of this ingredient is that it doesn't leave behind that white film which many natural and non-natural sunscreens leave on the skin, making them difficult to absorb into the skin.
Relating to the other key ingredient contained in this sunscreen formula which is Octinoxate, the good thing is that it disperses UVB rays but it is not a natural sunscreen.
- Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF50 Sunscreen is an effective and good quality chemical and physical sunscreen.
- It does not leave any white residue on the face. After personally having tried different natural sunscreens, I can say that the worst effect is this white, ghost-like finish they leave on the face. Although this might not look so bad if you are lying on the beach, it is definitely not a very attractive look to have during a normal day out or at work. Still, you may not mind applying those natural sunscreens on the body.
- This zinc oxide sunscreen is PABA free. PABA or para-aminobenzoic acid is an ingredient that does not appear in sunscreen list of ingredients so often today, but it has been linked to allergic reactions and is said to stain clothing.
- It contains Cetearyl Alcohol which belongs to those fatty alcohols that are non-irritating to the skin.
- This product gives a matte finish which is good for all types of skin since summer heat causes shine on the face. It is particularly useful for people with oily or combination skin of course.
- It contains Chlorphenesin, which, according to several reliable sources I have looked into, has been found to cause irritation to people with sensitive and dry skin.
- According to pai skincare blog which I highly trust when it comes to the effect of different skin care ingredients on sensitive skin, Phenoxyethanol can cause skin irritation. Nevertheless, it is generally said that if it is contained in skincare products in low dosages (up to 1%), Phenoxyethanol can be safe. That is probably the reason I see it included in so many skin care products that claim to be natural.
- Obagi suncreen price is rather on the expensive side.
What do Users Like the most about Obagi Medical SPF50 Sunscreen Lotion?
- Very protective and feels great on the skin.
- It is super matte and does not clog pores or feel oily and sticky.
- It does not cause breakouts or aggravate acne.
- Does not make skin look white.
- Women use it as a great makeup base or just on its own.
- A lot of people use it as a 2-in-1 sunscreen and moisturizer.
- Makes skin smooth.
- Excellent for humid weather conditions.
Obagi Sun Shield Matte Broad Spectrum SPF50 Sunscreen Lotion is not only an effective sunscreen but has many other skin care benefits. People love using it.
Due to its rather expensive price, you may choose to use it only on the face so it lasts longer, and don´t forget! Never let your sunscreen exposed to high temperatures and enjoy the sun only during those hours that the sun is not at its hottest.